IEC-61850 ensures the interoperability between various substation automation components supplied by different vendors. IEC-61850 is an all-encompassing data communication standard that is suitable for several applications.
The 61850 standard was developed to:
– Address the need for a more structured approach to the design of Substation Automation Systems
– Separate the Data model from the method of communication
– Utilize new technologies (TCP/IP, …)
– Enable vendor independence
– Simplify system configuration
– Enable sharing of measurement among devices
– Guarantee interoperability between different equipments
ANDREA has implemented a library including the basic parts of the IEC 61850 specifications.